Friday, June 1, 2007

Washington, D.C

I'm back!! It's so nice to be home once again! Washington, D.C was a lot of fun, and we all had a great time, but I wasn't able to sleep as well as I do in my own bed. I'm sure all of you know how that goes.

We flew out to D.C. on the 21st of May. It was a good flight, I guess. I found out that flying isn't my favorite thing to do. (I figured it wouldn't be!) I felt dizzy when I was up there. Everyone said that the takeoff and the landing would be the worst part, but I thought that it was more fun.

We got there and we were all pretty tired, so we didn't do too much. However, there was a Wal-Mart right by our hotel and so we went there to waste a few hours! My brother ended up getting a Digital Camera, so he was excited.

Then we went to the Arlington National Cemetery and we watched the Changing of the Guards. It was really cool to watch and see everything that they did. Then my dad had meetings and we changed hotels that day. There we were close to the Pentagon and it was really cool. There was this really big mall that we went to on Wednesday. It was so awesome! We didn't find out about it until the day we had to leave there, go figure! But it was fun to walk around. They actually had a Dippin' Dots stand!! Of course I got some! They had a lot more flavors to pick from than Adventureland! Ha ha!

On Thursday, we changed hotels again and went to this really ritzy place. It was called the Omni Shoreham Hotel which has a lot of claim to fame. They have had a lot of famous people stay there. But then you get to their rooms, and they weren't as great as the lobby! (Kind of saw that one coming, didn't you?) It was so nasty... we had a ton of ants crawling on the floor in one area of the room. We called the front desk "Oh, we'll send someone up right away to spray." Do you think they did? NO! Their service was horrible, sorry to say, but I would never want to go there again! At least we didn't have to pay for it. :D The best thing about staying there though, was on Thursday night, either the Vise President or the President himself, went by us on the motorcade!!!!! I was ecstatic!

Friday, we did a LOT of walking. We walked over 10 miles, and that is not exaggerating. We saw all the different sights to see in D.C. We saw the White House, the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial, the Capitol, the National Cathedral and a house that was 7 feet wide. We took the Old Town Trolley Tour and it was an excellent thing to do. It even drove us by Vise President Cheney's house! It was a guided tour, so we got a lot of information, too. Plus, at the end of the day, the Vise President went by us in the motorcade. He was going home! :D

On Sunday, we went to the National Zoo with some friends that we haven't seen for a few years, and it was so much fun to see all of them and catch up. It was a lot of fun! It was good for my mom, too, as it's her best friend. So I was glad that they got to see each other.

Then, we pretty much didn't do anything on Monday, we checked out, and some of us went to the Zoo again to see some things that we weren't able to get pictures of. Then it was lunch time and time to head for the airport to sit for a few hours while we were waiting!

I had a lot of "firsts" on this trip though! First time flying, first time in a Taxi, first time in a Subway and first time in a Transit Bus.

All in all, it was a great time, but I was so glad to be back home and in my own bed!